Friday, April 30, 2010

Who Needs Friends?

I wonder why people want to be my "friend" on Face Book when they never met me? Just because I have a mutual friend with that person doesn't mean I want to be friends. It's the same as befriending someone I would meet on the street. Maybe that's why I have so few friends.  With cable TV news 24/7, we hear about all kinds of bizarre crimes, but that doesn't stop the 24/7 contacts we make with complete strangers.

It's hard to find good friends. I will never know what a good friend is until I am in trouble, or if I talk about money, religion or politics.

Unfortunately, the good friend is not the one I like the best. She is annoying and pushy.  I just want some peace from her.  I know I am a good friend to someone too; who just wants peace from me. And you know who you are. I am sure my daughters and husband count themselves among my good friends too.

It is fortunate that a supposedly good friendship falls by the wayside when an unexpected disagreement of trivial importance occurs. I say fortunate because the friendship never had the depth to endure a hardship.

Most friends tell me not to talk about politics, religion or money if I want to keep friends. That's a lie. Who wants friends who have hidden agendas or are superficial.
A friend can talk about money all they want, just keep it in their pocket; not spend it foolishly or lavishing on other friends. The superficial friends will soon leave you alone.

A friend can talk about religion all they want; just don't push it on other friends by making it the law of the land.  I am sure the augment is that one friend doesn't want the other friend to go to hell; but who's to say which one will go to hell. Although I am sure all those radical Muslims who treat women like second class citizens are going to hell.

I once heard there was no hell as God created everything, including Hitler and Satan. There is a purpose in life for even the bad guy. How can we experience the feeling of happiness when there is no comparable feeling of sadness; thus, Hitler and Satan.

I try not to take American politics too personally or hate the opposition or my friends, as I can still vote in a country governed by a ruthless and crooked government who still believes in a democracy.  Keep in mind, even Germany survived Hitler; to name only one out of many misguided rulers. As long as we have a democracy based on our Forefather's rules and regulations, we can afford to be civil to each other.

In the end when it comes to a true friend, I would like to think my dog would be here in times of trouble; but knowing her, she will run at the first sight of a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment