Thursday, December 9, 2010

Stuck in a Hotel Room

I figure, while I am stuck in a hotel room, I might as well blog.
This is the yearly Christmas dinner gathering of executives and their wives in Texas where we reintroduce ourselves to one another for one night.
While we are heading to the airport, my husband, who travels 24/7, tells me that he has requested an upgrade for both of us, but he will probably get upgraded first. It's only a 2 1/2 hour flight, so I am not concerned.
My husband likes waiting in the executive lounge until shortly before we board.  So there we sat while the airline agents at the boarding desk paged us repeatedly to come up for our first class seats. At about the same time, my husband tells me that they will notify him on his Blackberry or the lounge Reps will tell him.
NOT
While standing around to board, my husband tells me he will go first because he wants the first opportunity to get a space for our carry-on bag. He is in seat 9 and I am in seat 16, so I watch as he leaves; while waiting for the agents to call my zone for my seating area. Not long, I hear my last name called out; adding: "party of two." I am not sure that I heard, what I heard.  I hesitantly walk up to the agent's counter and stand a few feet away because there are other people waiting in line too. Then, I hear the agent yell out my first name.
I immediately swing around the line to the front. She tells me, "You have been upgraded to first class."
I said, "What about my husband?" She said that he already boarded. Too late.

Moral of my husband's life:  Just when he's comfortable with a routine on his own, his wife throws him a curve ball. 
Meaning, he feels, he never thinks clearly when I am with him. Which really means that he doesn't know what he is missing: his first class seat; until I tell him.
The truth doesn't lie in what he thinks; but in, what is: That I see the curve balls coming because I am not in my comfort zone; but he thinks he knows better, than I know, because he is in his comfort zone.

Moral of this story : His comfort zone only appeared to be bullet proof until his wife told him otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment