Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chefs Burning food for Flavor

     Lately I have noticed that some top chefs are more about using their own creative cooking technique than about taste. Some chefs completely lose sight of the end flavor or the nutrients when they try too hard to be creative. 
You may say to yourself, "Why do I care about this subject?" I didn't  think about it either, until I started becoming a serious food critic when it came to my health.
   Some months ago, we went to a Ritz-Carlton hotel restaurant. We had eaten at this restaurant before and the food was tasty. However, a year later, the menu has changed. The new rave seems to be searing a high grade piece of meat by burning the outside layer into a hard black shell; like a nut with the softer raw portion inside the crusted surface.
All this cremating in that night's meal, brings to mind another recent experience with another chef destroying a time proven dish, such as foie gras.
     My husband took me to a noted restaurant on my birthday this year and I bitched about the money we wasted on a beautiful  foie gras that the chef seared into a hard crusted burnt shell that coated the soft delicate flavors within.
     So I am a snob, having eaten at a mediocre French restaurant that served a soft delicately seared
foie gras with flavors to actually "die for;" if only because, the flavors were raw enough to taste; or is it just the cave woman in me talking; before fire was discovered.
     I specifically asked the waiter how the meat was cooked and he said, "Lightly Seared." So the chef decides that a change in cooking technique on a time proven recipe supersedes flavor.
     Lightly seared in American fine restaurants obviously means: cremated.
He, also, cremated my buffalo tenderloins into two pieces of hard black coal.
My husband said he can't take me anywhere because I am a food critic. The burnt food tastes fine to him. This from the man who eats with Koreans until garlic oozes from his pores.
One day, he told me that I put too much garlic in his food.
I replied, "What do you mean? I don't have Any garlic in that dish!"
So the waiter asked me what I thought of their lightly seared foie gras.
I said, "Please tell the chef to stop burning the food."
He had a poker face to my response.  I usually don't say anything to the chef or waiter about the bad foods I get. I just don't go back anymore. But in my aging years I am getting more bold because a buck doesn't go a long way. I refuse to pay for over priced burnt food.
     Yes, I know I should feel badly for the ducks or geese that are being forced fed and the Chilean Sea Bass that are being fished out, but we do eat fish or cows or some kind of meat; and unfortunately they have to die.
    And no, I am not a snob, as it took me forever to pronounce 'foie gras;' and even then, I think I just hint at what I think it sounds like and have no idea what it means.  It's a liver, I think.

All I am saying: Let this cave woman enjoy her food in, as close to, their natural state as possible: raw to rare which is just one step from being 'alive.'

No comments:

Post a Comment