Friday, April 1, 2011

Montana: Down to the Wire

Builder and my husband Talking about minimal landscaping
It was a whirlwind 4 day trip to Montana to decide where to place furniture and correct minor mistakes on cabinets, etc.  The plane trip on Allegiant from Los Angeles, CA to Missoula, MT was delayed 4 hours. Getting in at 11:30 PM, canceling our initial plans to drive to Columbia Falls, MT and instead spend the night in Missoula. We were so jet lagged that by the time we started talking to the loan officer the following day; all we wanted to do was crawl up on his desk to sleep.
My husband stop in a parking lot and fell asleep for an hour while I ate the largest Dairy Queen dipped ice cream cone I had every seen. I am watching my weight...
.....grow.
The construction loan officer was impressed that we didn't go over budget, but it was a no brainer when the allowances we had were already set in stone in the loan amount; that had to be compared to the estimated costs from subcontractors.  What part of staying within the allowance limits did we not understand? I know it is easy to go over budget since there are high grade and low grade items to consider; but my rule of thumb for purchasing anything is, "I want to be able to sleep at nights" and not think about debt. Our Interior Designer said she repeats that comment to herself when looking for items for our home.
We had heard some slight horror stories from people going over their loan amount. In all the stories, it seems it was the woman's fault for overspending.  The husband was out of town and the builder or designer convinced her to buy more or build more. In my case, my husband is the woman.


To be fair to the over spenders, we had paid for much of the unexpected costs, like blasting a large hole in the rock on which our house is built, before we even had a construction loan, which we then just added as a cost into the loan. No one expected that much blasting. That was one of the major expenses; besides, my husband's remote control setup for the entire house: audio, TV, security, temperature, cameras, lights, radiant floor heating which can be controlled from California before we arrive in Montana. I am sure there will be some things we can't control on that Ipad in which case we can call a friend to stop by.


It doesn't take much to please me. Even in my youth
I would say, " as long as I have a roof over my head and food on the table, I am fine." Of course, when I moved to California,
I added, ....." and gas in the car."


The builder and designer tell me all the time, "the house is beautiful."
I like to say to them, "It's custom made; it should be beautiful; but since I did not completely design it myself, it's not as beautiful as it should be."
I am sure they are baffled by my response.
I will never get the house I want; although, I am sure it is a nice house and I will like it once I know how it feels to actually live in it. After all, it will have a central vacuum system, a commercial Wolf stove, more storage space; and a well thought out functional kitchen. Not forgetting my art studio where I can make a mess and let it sit without having to hide it when company comes.


My biggest fear is how we will decorate it without having it look like a Bordello or a Native American Indian tribal hut.

The lights
looked cute, that the designer selected for the small guest bathroom,....
but when I wanted a light on the ceiling of that same guest bedroom, the designer asked if she could choose it.  Not Thinking that she would use the same pattern which was Only cute in the bathroom...  


After seeing this light hanging from the ceiling....
That wrought-iron bed that I like, would match perfectly, however
 this lamp with a wrought iron bed...... all I can envision is .......
Bordello guest room #2

















The designer picked out some of the powder room tile that I find interesting since her custom built home that she and her husband built with their own hands; is very neutral in colors and yet her choices of tiles and lamps for my home are like pieces of jewelry. Although my husband likes the powder room; I could not get my mind around the rustic tile; until I dreamt of a vision that it could represent: 

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. 
It has a shiny reddish stone border that looks like stones for a necklace combined with rough edged tiles with uneven wide grout lines. The granite counter top is a completely different design. I had to force myself to
image Harrison Ford stumbling across this cave like room with it's rustic looking walls and floors....encrusted with rubies.
 All the bathrooms will have wall to wall beveled mirrors; so maybe it will look better once finished and cleaned up.
Next week we head for High Point, NC to pick out the furniture and fabric for all the rooms and I am already worried. 

The designer wants me to look at native America Indian blankets for the beds. 
Having an Indian blanket lying under a Bordello lamp? 
For some reason I can't see it
 unless
I envision an Indian lying on a wrought-iron bed with a prostitute. 


Here are some pictures that we took. 
more are on this page linked to Kerry House Blog.
Front part of house as it angles around to the Master Bedroom with Balcony to Library. Art Studio with french doors just below the Great Room Window.  On either side of the Art Studio are the 2 Guest Bedrooms.
Back of house sitting on 5.99 acres of land. 


Daily site by the house. Builder said he saw a small herd of Elk walking through the other day. It was unusual to see Elk.

Great Room Window. Sorry to see the tree go, but I would like a VIEW of the Valley.
There are bathroom lights that I like 
Great Room Fireplace.  That's our lunch on the box. Looking out back towards the laundry/mud room and garage.
The stairs leading to the Art studio, guest bedrooms, wine room, bar area, gym, theater and mechanical room. 


Looking from the Kitchen/dining room into the Great Room to the Library leading out to the balcony that joins the Master bedroom.
Kitchen Island Granite. 


 I will post more pictures when the kitchen is done; but only if that Indian goes back to his Tepee and that prostitute goes back to her Bordello.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment