Friday, June 18, 2010

Financial Advice: Theirs and Mine

I was driving home yesterday getting my usual shot in the arm news report from 1070 when I heard that gold reached another record high. I was just talking to our financial adviser who doesn't seem to want to buy gold, although my stocks have profited more from gold than any other stock; so much so that he is constantly skimming the profits off the top to buy other stock.

While juggling chores around town, I continued to listen to the advice about gold on the car radio.
One adviser who owns a financial company said that he advised "against" buying gold last year and he was "WRONG," because it did increase in value; BUT he would still not advise buying it today.

Shortly after this advice another financial adviser comes on with his take on gold. He believes in following "the trend" in stocks. If they are going up; jump on the band wagon.

At least 5 years ago, I knew nothing about buying gold. My brother told me he bought gold and it was a good investment for him. So I got the itch and told our adviser to buy gold against his better advice.

As the dollar got weaker, the gold got stronger. I kept hearing the financial talking heads on television say that the more our government prints money without gold backing, the weaker the dollar becomes and the only value left in American currency will be gold. It's not paper thin; but real material, dug from the mine, currency that can be traded in any country.

 I believe as long as America is in debt and continues to print worthless money and stay in debt, gold will always be a good buy. A friend said she just traded in her gold jewelry for cash and was floored by the cash she received for it.

It seems every financial adviser has a mind set. I know from experience that our adviser did not see the last stock market bubble burst coming; but I sensed it was coming because the banks were all folding. I have come to realize that financial advisers are stuck in their own bubble of delusion; like anyone going to work, day in and day out, they get tied down to a tree without resurfacing to see the forest.

I was watching Bulls and Bears on Fox News recently and at the end of the program each adviser gives their stock prediction. Since my IRA was ready for a blood transfusion, I listened to the advice.
Human vices like smoking and drinking have no problem making a profit. Although I am crept out by buying cancer causing Phillip Morris, my daughter smokes because of her mental illness. I would buy Samuel Adams beer because my husband drinks it and the rest of the IRA would go to gold and other commodities. Since last month my Samuel Adams stock increased. Someone must be depressed.
Phillip Morris had decreased slightly, mainly because the government's new policy prohibits the mailing of cigarettes which cut into big profits. It's a temporary set back.  I am selling that as soon as it reaches a slight profit, although my adviser tells me that we are not in the market to day trade. We are suppose to be thinking Long Term. I don't have that much time left on earth for Long Term.
I realize I have to tell him "exactly" what I want down to the numbers of shares I want because we are never on the same page.

Our financial adviser does keep me from going over the cliff for I am an emotional buyer. Balancing the facts, that all financial advisers bet against each other and give contradicting advice; I continue to look at the forest; while he concentrates on the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment